Thursday 7 October 2010

Media Studies Questionnaire

Year 12 Media Studies Student Questionnaire

My name is Jake Bromley, and this is my year 12 media studies student questionnaire, my GCSE’s were as shown below:
·        History: D
·        Drama: C
·        Graphics: C
·        English Language: C
·        English Literature: D
·        Science: D
·        Additional Science: C
·        Maths: C
·        Additional Maths: C
My hobbies consist of playing videogames, watching television, attending my drama group, watching films and socializing with my friends. I sometimes read a newspaper or magazine if I find one, I usually read articles if they have an appealing headline or is familiar to my own interests. My interest in newspapers and magazines are usually reviews on films, music or television programmes and to check the news of recent events. I prefer to access news and other information on the internet, mainly because I find it to be more accessible and because I spend a lot of my time on the internet making it more practical. I tend to listen to Kiss Fm, which is a popular radio station for teenagers, which plays music that is popular at the time, music that is in the charts, Kiss also gives news and travel updates on the hour. I have a wide taste in music I like rock and punk rock sort of music, some of my favourite artists include: Linkin Park, Green Day and Eminem. I access my music via internet most of the time, by going on websites where you can listen to it or watch the music video for free, websites such as; YouTube or We7.com. I personally believe that person should be able to download music off of music websites on internet legally; I believe this because some music is overly priced for what it is, and more people can enjoy it if they are able to access it. The music industry has a huge influence on the way people dress because they may have seen a favourite artist dressed like that, or their attitudes to certain things e.g. a song with anti-government lyrics could influence an individual to lose faith in their government or politics. My favourite video game is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, it is a first-person shooter in which you can play as a member of the military that goes on missions and engages others in battle. It is a popular game that allows the player to utilize the militaries tactics and resources to accomplish missions. Videogames can also have a negative impact on their audience giving them the wrong impression of how to resolve conflicts and the attitudes towards different genders, an example of this would be that most videogames are aimed at male audience and that there aren’t many female exclusive videogames. New Technology has defiantly had a huge effect on my life; it has mage communicating with people so much easier, with new breakthroughs such as social networking websites and the ability to call or text anyone from your mobile. Thanks to the internet it has made it easier for people to access their favourite films, television programmes or music, to consume it or purchase it. The internet has also given people the chance to upload their own personal entries on blogs or social networking websites, giving us a better understanding of how to access information easier. My favourite Television channels are BBC one and Sky one because they provide both high class of entertainment but also provide a good source of news and recent events. My favourite television programmes that I find to be most memorable are: Lost, The Simpsons, Top gear and Mock the week, the reason I picked these, is because they memorable for what they are, Lost was a huge Sci-Fi Drama that has had a huge cultural impact on television, The Simpsons because it is the longest running American sitcom and also the longest running American animated show and is known all around the world,  Top gear because whilst being factual television programme about cars it is also entertaining to watch, Mock the week because it’s a topical news programme aimed at a teenage - young adult audience whilst being very comical it also addresses issues in the news. My favourite Film Genre is Action, because it keeps you interested and it’s enjoyable following the action at the same pace. 3 films that I find outstanding are The Shawshank Redemption, avatar and the dark knight because the actors have made the experience amazing and the storylines are all themselves brilliant pieces of work. I prefer to watch films on my own at home, that way I can enjoy a film without being distracted. My favourite cinema is Odeon, because even though it is more expensive you get your money’s worth, the seats there are comfy and they have air conditioning for when it gets hot. A piece of media text that I find offensive would be sexist articles on the internet that make men out to be insensitive people lacking compassion to women’s feelings, claiming that men do not have feelings and imply that they cannot empathize for women, I find this offensive because it is a lie and a stereotype that all men do not have emotions. The most interesting media text I have read recently was about the first limbless man swimming the English Channel, I found this interesting because it was a heart warming story of a man who overcame his challenge despite the difficulties he faced, this article changed my opinion and showed me that a person can overcome near enough any obstacle when they are determined. If I was asked to construct a media text concerning England’s condition I would choose to show that in the form of a short film, this is because I feel films is the most effective way of getting a point across. I have chosen Media Studies as an option because I find the concept of how we as the public will believe anything we read in the news or see on TV or hear on the radio when all of them can be influenced or changed, I also have a passion for films in the way they are made and the time put in to make them.

1 comment: